WordPress is the most widely used content management system on the web. You may have tried it or even created a website using this CMS (content management system). If this is the case, you will have realised that it is not a multilingual content management system and that, if you want your content to be translated, you will need a translation service or a translation plugin. So, which option should we choose to translate website content?
Translation through the WordPress plugin (WPML)
The WPML plugin turns your WordPress into a multilingual website. It is a paid plugin and the most economical option costs around $79. It is cheaper than having a professional translation tool, but it lacks many of the features that these translation solutions offer, and which we will discuss below. What are the benefits of this translation plugin?
- Simple translation of any website content.
- SEO for each of the languages of your website, with the installation of another plugin, the Yoast SEO plugin.
- It allows you to assign translations to other users, making it useful for doing team translations.
- 30-day trial period, during which you can request a refund.
- Licence for unlimited websites, which is ideal if you are developing more than one multilingual website.
Suitable for companies with a modest budget and simple translation needs. If this is not your case, choose proxy translation.
How does proxy translation work?
A proxy translation system automatically explores and extracts all the text from your website in order to do the translation. The translation and review process can be carried out via proxy translation or externally, via TMX files (translation memory exchange), by exporting the TMX and, once the translation has been done, by importing it. The translated version of the content is in a proxy server and instantly replaces the content when a user accesses the website in another language.
Our proxy translation solution is available for all types of website and is ideal for dynamic websites that continuously generate fresh content. There are various plans according to the functions offered and all of these are designed for companies and media agencies.
What does it offer?
- An integrated translation tool, by means of which you can translate or revise all your online content.
- Translation memory management. Our translation tool permits the import and export of translation memories. These files of already made translations facilitate the reuse of translations, save in translation costs and avoid duplicates, as the segments in the memory are automatically translated when it is imported to the application.
- It is not a translation plugin, so the translation process is much faster and more simple as it eliminates the processes of sending the texts for translation, waiting for the quote and uploading the translated texts to the CMS.
- Visualising the translated content. As the translation of the texts is carried out, you will see on a dual screen the original and the translated content, as it would appear on the front-end of your website.
- Detection of new text, as an instant translation will be made automatically of all new content.
- SEO friendly. All keywords and metatags are translated and a URL is generated for each translated version, so your translated content maintains the same position in search engines as the original content.
- Translation filters, so you can decide which content of your website you want to translate.
- Photo and video management. Users upload, together with original photos or videos from their website, a translated version, adding the language suffix to the file name (for example, for English it could be “photo_eng”). This way, the application will automatically show the correct photo in the translated version.
This is done through a simple and intuitive interface that provides an excellent user experience. The aim is that you can translate your own website without needing to install any program or without any intermediary.
So, which solution would be best for you?