Globalisation gives us the opportunity to sell our products and services to customers around the world. Firstly, it is essential to professionally translate your e-commerce content. If you have an online store and wish to open your products or services up to overseas markets, be sure to take great care in the translation of your content. A bad translation could lead to you losing up to 50% of sales in overseas markets.
What should you take into account when translating e-commerce content?
To compete with foreign companies, the translation must sound completely natural. As such, it is essential to entrust the e-commerce translation to a professional translation company. But the choice may not be that easy. Here are some key points:
- Marketing of content: often, translation is simply not enough. The message, keywords and meta-descriptions, etc., have to be reworked in order to make them attractive to users of different countries and boost SEO ranking. It is important to know how users search for your product or service in order to use these keywords in your website. And here is where the added value of an experienced native translator for your e-commerce business website is necessary.
- The use of different currencies: if we are going to sell to other countries, all details of our website should be taken into account. Currency is one of these. Users who want to pay in pounds should be able to find the cost of the product in this currency, and likewise for users purchasing in euros. Currency is an important factor in an e-commerce business and must also be adapted to other markets.
- SEO Ranking: Google will penalise websites with incorrect translations, which has a direct effect on the number of hits to your webpage and your sales. Don't forget that alongside translating the content, you must also translate the tags, keywords and page URLs. In this way, you will not only translate your e-commerce website, but you will also be able to position it correctly in international search engines.
Free automatic translators - friend or foe?
We have all once resorted to one of the free automatic translators such as Google Translate or DeepL##2## in search of a quick translation, and there is nothing wrong with that. These free translators are incredibly helpful in certain contexts and particularly when used with caution, but they are not suitable for anything beyond basic comprehension.
Using an automatic translation in a professional environment such as e-commerce translation can harm our credibility and possibly damage our reputation in the eyes of future customers; Not only could the translation sound unnatural and even ridiculous, but we also risk our reputation and our investments in marketing and internationalisation.
What does a translation agency have to offer when translating an e-commerce?
Many people think that any bilingual person can translate and delegate the translation of sensitive documents to members of staff with knowledge of the target language. As a result, it is usual to come across e-commerce translations of varying quality, some which have been translated on a word-for-word basis with no thought given to context or localisation.
- At AT Language Solutions, we are certified with ISO 17100:2015 and ISO 9001. But what does that mean? It means that our translation processes respect stringent international quality standards and are regularly checked to consistently bring our clients the best translation services.
- We also take care of the SEO. It is of little use to translate an e-commerce site without also considering SEO. At our translation company, we have professional native SEO translators who take into account all the variables for optimum positioning.
- At AT Language Solutions, we have solid experience translating online stores for companies in a wide variety of sectors: fashion and accessories stores, large retail stores, cosmetics stores, travel agencies, etc. Our specialised native translators translate all the texts on your e-commerce site into the language you need.
Translate your e-commerce website and conquer the world
Anyone who chooses to translate their e-commerce website into one or more languages will gain a lot more market share, expanding their portfolio of international customers. If you have an e-commerce website that you're ready to translate, contact us for a no-obligation quote.