La elección de un dominio web es una de las tareas más relevantes del posicionamiento SEO. The name chosen should be a good reflection of the brand, the product or the service the website is about.
¿Cuál deber ser la estructura de un dominio web y qué debemos tener en cuenta?
A domain is the name with which a website is identified on the internet. Its structure consists of four main parts:
- Root: the empty part of the domain from which the rest of the domains come (/).
- Top-level domains: this is the extension or termination specific to the domain (.es, .com, etc.).
- Second-level domains: this is the section of the domain name found to the left of the top-level domains (at-languagesolutions).
- Third-level domains: also so-called subdomains, on the sublevel of the domain name (www).
¿Qué dominio web elegir?
Before choosing a domain, you must be very clear about the objective of the site, because only in this way will you be able to define and establish which is the most suitable. Therefore, it is important to ask yourself the following questions:
- Are your users local, national or international?
- Is your website an e-commerce or a blog?
- Are you going to focus on a specific brand or product?
Once you have answered these questions, you need to decide who your user is and make it easy for them. Take into account that your domain will be part of your brand and will be the way in which users remember you and search for you on the internet.
And finally, if you plan to be present on social media, check that your name is available so that you can build your brand consistently on all the channels.
How do you find out if a domain is free and who it belongs to?
If you have already thought of a name for your domain, you first have to make an analysis and see if it already exists on the internet. There are many websites with search engines to help you find out if your domain name is available. Nominalia, Dominiolibre and Strato are just some examples.
It is highly likely that when you carry out the search to check if a domain is registered, you will find that it is already owned by someone. But who? This information is available on websites such as Whois.
How to register a domain?
The last step is the registration, which you can do on any of the three sites we mentioned above. To do this you must select the number of years you wish to register it for, enter the details of the owner of the domain and make the payment. It's that simple!
Now you already know how to choose a domain name and register it, work on the content of your website and make it multilingual with the help of a professional translation service.