Technical translation can be defined as a type of specialist translation involving texts that contain very specific terminology: engineering, automotive, chemical products, electronics, mining, telecommunications, metallurgy and building are among the fields that make up the sector. Have you ever wondered how an instruction manual is translated? Or building specifications? Well, these are technical translations.
Characteristics of technical translation
Technical translation requires great linguistic and professional skills. Not all translators are qualified to work in technical fields. As well as being native speakers of the language into which they translate, they must have previously specialised in the field and have experience of this type of translation.
One of the major complications of technical translation is the complexity of the terminology. For example, when translating a catalogue of industrial machinery, the translator will have to know the exact names used for these products, as well as other terms referring to the sector and industrial processes.
Translating technical language
Technical language is a type of specialist language used in various technical fields (engineering, programming, telecommunications, construction, industry, automotive, aviation, etc.). The peculiarities of the language in technical translation are more complex than in other types of translations. Some linguistic features of technical translations:
- Objectivity: generally speaking, texts for technical translation have an informative or explanatory purpose, but above all, they must be clear and objective.
- Accuracy: in a technical translation, unnecessary words that make the text more obscure should be avoided. Technical translation has to be precise and faithful to the original text.
- Logical style: generally speaking, the way a text is drafted will change according to the language in question. This means that one of the translator's tasks for a technical translation is to determine the correct style to draft the text in a given language: whether to use the passive or active voice for example, or the right level of formality.
- Excellent quality: you can find countless translation services online. But you should always look for a trusted translation company with experience in technical translation and, of course, translators who specialise in the various areas of technical translation.
Translators who specialise in technical translation
A technical translator is someone who, in addition to mastering the languages (the source language and the target), must also be a specialist in a specific area.
There are specialised translators in most fields: including engineering, medicine, law and marketing. It is important to be sure of the area of the source text in order to contract the most suitable professional translation service.
In addition to the translation itself, there is a whole team focused on ensuring the quality of the final text received by the customer, from the project manager to quality specialists, which guarantee the accuracy of the final translation.
Translation is a meticulous job, and even more so in the case of technical translation, which requires a high degree of specialisation in the subject area to ensure that the final text does not alter the meaning of the original in any way.
What type of text requires technical translation?
The technical documents most often requested at AT Language Solutions include the following:
- Translations of product catalogues
- Translations of catalogues of parts or accessories
- Translations of patents
- Translations of regulations
- Translations of installation or assembly manuals
- Translations of technical instructions
- Translations of maintenance handbooks
- Translations of repair manuals
- Translations of quality specifications
- Translations of technical specifications
- Translations of training materials
At AT Language Solutions, we are specialists in various areas of technical translation. For example:
- Industrial translation
- Aeronautical translation
- translations for the chemical industry.
- Construction translation
- Engineering projects translation
- Energy sector translation
- IT translation
- Architecture translation
- Telecommunications translation
Use the services of a translation agency
As we have mentioned above, technical translation must be of excellent quality: it must be very accurate with no errors. The best option, therefore, is always to trust a translation company that has native technical translators who specialise in the field we need to translate, who are familiar with the jargon and terminology of each area.
Using a translation company has a series of advantages:
- Rigorous monitoring of the translation by a project manager.
- Experienced native translators who are specialists in the field.
- The translation can be transferred to any format (AutoCAD, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.).
- A glossary and translation memory can be created for each project.
- Quality guarantee. We recommend you choose a translation agency that complies with the ISO 17100 standard, as this is the most stringent international quality certification.
- Deliveries guaranteed according to the agreed schedule.
In short, technical translation requires a high degree of specialisation on the part of the translator, because of the great complexity of its terminology. So, if you're looking for the best specialist translators, we're the ideal translation agency for you!